Objectives of the Festival
The Christchurch Schools’ Music Festival aims to provide the children of the massed choirs with:
- An enjoyable experience of choral music performed at the highest possible standard;
- Exposure to a wide variety of genre and styles of choral music;
- Choral training based on the development of well-produced head tone and other important vocal techniques;
- Development of the personal responsibility and self-discipline required for music performance.
In addition the Christchurch Schools’ Music Festival aims to:
- provide a public performance opportunity for the best Year 5 – 8 instrumentalists in Canterbury;
- promote and celebrate music by NZ composers;
- provide conductors and tutors of the highest standard of musical expertise;
- provide professional development in choral music-making techniques for participating choir directors;
- foster and promote interest in music-making within schools.